Monday, July 11, 2011

Lake weekend !!

This past weekend I went to the lake with my mom, her sisters, Lu and a few of my girl cousins. My Aunt B has a fantastic place right on the lake with a pool, swim dock, tons of tube-thingys, and a boat. We had so much fun--the outlets were to.die.for. I am not usually a huge outlet person, but we did a good job supporting the local economy! I got tons of new work clothes (hello, big girl job starting next week!) and some fun summer stuff too. Lu got a pair of skinny cargo pants, which is a trend I don't quite understand, but they are cute...ish.

THE BEST PART OF THE TRIP: I tried a new pasta recipe that I have been drooling over.

Disclaimer*: I have no clue where I found this...I think it was on someone else's blog? Anyway, it is delicious. Before you try it out, I have a few tips. They are at the very bottom.

Here it is:
Ingredients
2 (9-oz.) packages refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper

Preparation
1. Prepare tortellini according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, process olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Toss olive oil mixture with hot cooked tortellini, tomatoes, and next 3 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

TIPS! (from a former Williams-Sonoma employee, I might add)
-I used frozen tortellini and canned corn. It was exactly taste-wise the same and much cheaper.
-The grocery stores at the lake are not super sophisticated, and they did not have fresh basil. Regular basil in a jar was fine.
-I added a bit extra olive oil (maybe 1/4 a cup) and an extra teaspoon of lemon juice. I ALWAYS add extra garlic and pepper.
-I don't love Worcestershire sauce and my little cousins probably wouldn't have either, so I skipped it.
-The dish is supposed to be served hot, but I made it on Saturday morning before our shopping trip and put it in the fridge for like 3 hours. When we got home, we ate it cold and I thought it was better than when it was hot. Just my opinion. My cousins heated it up and liked it better that way. I think it can be served hot or cold!
-I served it along with turkey sandwiches on dollar rolls with swiss and mustard. It was a good combination lunch! To make the pasta more of an entree, you could always add meat tortellini, serve it with a salad or add chicken.

Enjoy--I will be making this pasta again this weekend for a friend's BBQ!


xoxo Muff

No comments:

Post a Comment